Sunday, October 18, 2009

God Bless Texas

So I've been in Texas almost a month now, amazing how time flies! I'm learning a lot about how to be a Texan and all it's fabulousness.

I was driving through the country this evening and was able to gaze up at the beautiful Texas sky. Now, normally, I've seen this sky during the day (and most of it has been rainy). But this drive was different, I could see all the stars in the sky. It's hard to explain, but the Texas sky is different...t's bigger....it's beautiful.

As I drove into town, I saw my favorite landmark that lets me know I'm close to home, the Texas flag. Now, the Texas flag is flown high, big, and proud. Everytime I come over the hill and see this flag, it makes me smile. It reminds me how surreal these last few weeks have been. I sometimes can't grasp that I am living in Texas. Being born and raised, and basically living ,in the same place my whole life, I can't believe that I am so far away from comfort. The comfort that I long for every day. I miss my friends, my surroundings, my home. But I'm starting to feel ok here.

I have been very fortunate to meet some fabulous people (and fabulous is not a term I use lightly). I am slowly learning the ways of Texas, how people think, how life is done. I never realized that people can be so different in this country, but I was wrong.

I have been told by numerous people that once I get to Texas, I will never want to leave. I shrugged them off, thinking to myself, "I'm ready to see the world." But now I understand why they said that. I'm in love with Texas. I have never met more friendly people, who open their lives to you with no reserve. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I am so thankful I've met some friends that have taken me under their wing and made me feel at home.

I'm excited for every new adventure that has come my way. I don't want to miss out on a thing, and the chance to make a memory. I have my own "to-do" list while I'm in Texas, and I'm quickly being able to cross some of them off!

As comfortable as I am becoming, I have a longing for home. I miss the comfort, the familiarity, the ability to know where everything is. I miss the people that I have always relied on for strength. But I am learning how to find the strength within myself, to put myself out there, and do it on my own. I've always been someone that has relied on someone else, and for the first time I'm learning to do it all on my own (even to get the flats fixed in Nowhere, Arkansas). I'm learning that I'm strong, and I can face the world no matter what it may give me. But I miss my friends, my family. And I have learned who are my true friends, and not just incidentals. I'm learning to take no friendship for granted, and cherish the ones you have. I'm learning that there is no distance between me and the ones I love.

Those are my ramblings for tonight...only a few more thoughts....

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few capture your heart...pursue those."

"God Bless TEXAS"

I love you all, and miss you even more! Always remember to keep your fork!!

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely. I miss my family and friends, but I love Texas too. I love Texas pride. The people take pride in themselves, their family, their friends, their state...etc. Good vibes and good times.

    ReplyDelete